Thursday, June 24, 2010

We are going toward light


     One of the things I have most enjoyed and been surprised to find are all the positive messages around the city. Not that I expected to find anything negative but it's refreshing to see messages of hope plastered across a public space.

 This is one of my favorites.


This shop is near the bus stop closest to our house. On our first day in Suly we were sent off to the bazaar. We wandered through shops and wove through crowds for 2 hours before attempting to catch a bus home. Instead we never found a bus and ended up walking a significantly longer distance than my feet were ready to handle. Only when I saw this sign did I really know its ok, I would make it home soon.

This is in a creepy tunnel that goes under one of the main streets in Suly. Amidst the political grafitti the walls are coated with different colored pieces of paper that directly translates to, "Is your life delicious?" in Kurdish. What it essentially means is are you satisfied with your life or is your life all that you want it to be? 

This is across the street from Parki Azadi which is a gigantic park in the middle of the city. It used to be an army base and there used to be mass graves full of the Kurdish people that Saddam had killed. But now it has been reclaimed as Freedom Park.

Who knows what other gems are hidden within this city. I look forward to discovering them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails